Acne affects more than half of the population in adolescence and many adults suffer from the problem. There are a number of causes which may trigger acne and change in hormones is one of the major causes. Some of the assumed causes for acne are hormonal changes during pregnancy or in adolescence, starting or stopping intake of birth control pills, taking certain medicines, greasy makeup, and hereditary. It has been seen that people living in pacific islands and Africa have only a few cases of acne because the diet is low in fat and high in fiber. Some researcher believe that the abnormal glucose metabolism can also cause acne and sometimes certain forms of carbohydrates may initiate the secret of testosterone in men and women, which may cause acne.
What to Avoid / Take to cure Acne?
1. Certain food products in western diet such as refined sugar, saturated fat, processed meats raise the risk.
2. A few researchers believe milk products and food containing a high glycemic index can be harmful. One should avoid dairy products, high salt, refined sugar and fried food. The same is observed with chocolates and salt.
3. One can include Vitamin A, E, B6, Selenium, Zinc, Chromium and Omega 3 fatty acid in diet.
4. It is observed that the food containing a good amount of fiber and low in fat is helpful. Fat raises the secretion of hormones but a diet rich in fibers serves as a cleansing substance that removes toxins from skin.
5. The diet should have no grains, no dairy products, soy or beans.
6. The herb called Saw palmetto can be included in the diet as it is used for balancing hormones but it should be taken on the advice of doctors.
7. One can include fish in diet or fatty acid supplements can be taken.
8. Gamma-Linolenic acid which is found in vegetables is essential for reducing the symptoms of acne and vegetables contain a good amount of it.
9. Tea tree oil which contains anti inflammatory properties is found at many health stores and another chemical called Azelaic acid is also advised to be taken as per the recommendation of dietitians.
The cause for acne in different people is different and human body varies from one individual to other. One should try to include or avoid the food products which best suit their body type. Eliminating good amount of sugar, fat and wheat has been found effective in curing the symptoms in many people.
Laboratory reports have confirmed that cow's milk can raise the symptoms of acne and one should strictly avoid dairy product to reduce the risk. One should take a good amount of water because it is needed for flushing the toxins form the body.
It has been found that raising the intake of vitamin A, Zinc and Calcium may raise certain risks. Zinc may not allow the body to absorb copper and high dose of Vitamin A can also be dangerous. Limiting milk products can cause calcium deficiency and pregnant women should not take vitamin A supplements because it can cause birth defects in the unborn baby.